IHI Shibaura was founded in 1950 by two companies, Toshiba (Tokyo-Shibaura-Engineering) and IHI (Ishikawajima Harima Industries). The company originally began as a manufacturer of light and heavy engines. Only in 1961 they completed a tractor factory for manufacturing tractors up to 40 hp, in 2-wheel and 4-wheel versions. In 1978 the first series of tractors over 50 hp were brought into production. IHI Shibaura is still a relatively young company and has grown very quickly compared to European standards.